Pella

Byzantine Church Ruins at Pella Site

City just east of the Jordan River and southeast of the Sea of Galilee. It received a large part of the Jerusalem church when they fled there before the Roman destruction of the Holy City in A.D. 66. Pella became an important link in the church structure from that time.

The site was inhabited as early as 1900 B.C. and is mentioned in the Egyptian Execration Texts (1850 B.C.) and the Amarna Letters (about 1400 B.C.). Pella was destroyed shortly before the Israelite conquest and not rebuilt until about 350 B.C.

Alexander the Great settled the city with Macedonians. In the early years of the first century B.C. it was destroyed again but rebuilt and greatly enhanced by Pompey.

Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary
Photo courtesy of BiblePlaces.com