Shiloh

Also known as Kh. Seilun, Seilun, Shillo, Shilo.

Meaning,A place of rest

A city of Ephraim, “on the north side of Bethel,” from which it is distant 10 miles (Judg. 21:19); the modern Seilun (the Arabic for Shiloh), a “mass of shapeless ruins.”

Here the tabernacle was set up after the Conquest (Josh. 18:1-10), where it remained during all the period of the judges till the ark fell into the hands of the Philistines. “No spot in Central Palestine could be more secluded than this early sanctuary, nothing more featureless than the landscape around; so featureless, indeed, the landscape and so secluded the spot that from the time of St. Jerome till its re-discovery by Dr. Robinson in 1838 the very site was forgotten and unknown.” It is referred to by Jeremiah (Jer. 7:12, 14; 26:4-9) five hundred years after its destruction.

Easton's Bible Dictionary
Photo courtesy of BiblePlaces.com